Sunday, March 30, 2008

Super Powers

Ashtyn is almost 4 now and is very in touch with her intuition and her spirit. An example of this is that she is often reading peoples faces and commenting on how they must be feeling inside...happy, sad, angry, worried, playful, etc. She does this a lot with her family, but also at the mall with perfect strangers. It can almost be embarrassing if she comments too loud.

That being said I've been trying to channel that energy into helping her control her emotions in a positive way. I'm sure it's common for 4 year old kids to throw fits over little things. Whats probably uncommon is parents talking their kids through their emotions and the kid "getting it".

Last week when she threw a fit over not wanting to go to bed, I calmed her enough to ask, "What does it feel like inside your heart when you get mad and cry like this?" With a bit more prompting she said, "Bad inside". I then let her know that no one in the world can make her happy of sad, that God gave her alone that control. "What that means Ashtyn, is that right now, you can choose to be happy." She then said, "I can't do that, it's too hard"! I knew she was getting it...amazing!

Anyways, over the next five minutes I watched her "choose" to be happy with her circumstances...having to listen to mommy and daddy...and go to bed. When I left her room, she had the most peaceful smile on her face. It was a new look that I had not noticed before. It was the look of a little girl who just realized she had an important super power that she could now use for her benefit. (OK, I'm probably reading into it a bit).

No comments: